You have the POWER to Boost Your Immune System
When it comes to our health, much of what we see in the news and media today puts a focus on mask wearing, vaccines and social distancing. What about promoting our body’s ability to protect ourself?
How can you focus on staying healthy and optimizing your health during this time? Here are a few tips:
- Vitamin A, C and E – help to maintain the lining of the respiratory and digestive tract which acts as a barrier against infection. Consume fruits and vegetables with purple, blue, red, orange and yellow hues.
- Vitamin D – works with T cells, a type of white blood cell that is key to the immune system’s ability to fight off infection and disease. Consume fatty fish, egg yolks, foods fortified with added vitamin D or a supplement (check with your MD). Also, get out in the sun!
- Probiotics – help to maintain the integrity of the lining of the intestines, thereby helping to boost immunity. Consume tempeh, miso, kimchi and sauerkraut.
- Zinc – helps to fight off certain microbes. Consume ground beef, whole grain oats, turkey, soybeans, various nuts, chickpeas and yogurt.
- Omega-3 Fatty Acids – essential for reducing inflammation. Consume walnuts, chia, hemp and flax seeds.
- Adequate sleep – when we aren’t getting enough sleep, our body is in a state of stress. More stress leads to compromised immunity. Take a nap!
- Fluid intake – drink the water, flush your system. Without enough water, our body doesn’t have the ability to transport all of these nutritions to each organ system. If you HATE water, add some natural flavoring: lemon, lime, mint, cucumber etc.
- Eat a diet with a variety of fruits and vegetables – this fiber will feed the good bacteria in your gut which is vital to optimizing your immune system.
Please stop thinking that the only thing that is going to protect you from a virus is a cloth mask, staying away from people and a vaccine. You have the ability to protect yourself with the lifestyle and food you chose every single day.