In a time where the world seems like it’s ending and we’re all doomed (it’s not and we’re just fine) – here are a few tips to care for yourself and maintain control.
- We are what we consume.
- Keep this in mind as you scroll social media for the hundredth time or watch the news for the 6th time today – if you are hearing and reading about fear, anxiety and the unknown than you will take on those emotions as your own.
- Move your body.
- When you move your body, you change your mind. Feeling scared or uncertain? Go for a walk, go for a run, take a yoga class or play with the kids – whatever you do, move your body and you will change your mindset.
- Eat foods that serve your body.
- People often stress eat or don’t eat when they are anxious. Stay focused on consuming whole, natural foods that will give you energy for an extended period of time.
- Drink the water.
- Yes, I mean water. Often times when people are stressed, they reach for a numbing agent: alcohol, sugar, prescription pills, tv, etc. These things help an individual disconnect from reality. Drink the water, stay present in the moment and lean into the feelings you are having – they are valid and you will overcome them.
- Get outside.
- Yes, we’re still in the winter season but it is so empowering to be outside in the fresh, crisp air while you soak up the Vitamin D.
It’s okay to be fearful and anxious about the current situation. However, you have the power to let it consume you or to be informed and to keep on living. The choice is yours.