Chicken of choice and make it in a way that feeds your soul.
- 1 lb plum tomatoes, halved lengthwise
- 4 large garlic cloves, sliced
- 1 large yellow onion, halved and cut crosswise into slices 1/2 inch thick
- 1 small eggplant, trimmed and cut into 1-inch chunks
- 1 small zucchini, trimmed and cut crosswise into slices 1/2 inch thick
- 1 small yellow crookneck squash, trimmed and cut crosswise into slices 1/2 inch thick
- 1 green bell pepper, seeded and cut into 1 1/2 inch squares
- 5 tablespoons olive oil
- Sea salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 cup finely shredded fresh basil
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh thyme
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F
- Combine the tomatoes, garlic, onion, eggplant, zucchini, yellow squash, and bell pepper in a large bowl. Drizzle in the olive oil, sprinkle generously with salt, and toss to coat. Transfer the vegetables to a large rimmed baking sheet and spread in an even single layer.
- Roast the vegetables for 20 minutes, stirring once or twice. Remove from the oven and sprinkle with the basil and thyme. Continue to roast, again stirring once or twice, until the biggest pieces are tender when pierced with a fork, 5-10 minutes longer. Remove the vegetables from the oven and season with salt and pepper.
- Transfer the ratatouille to a bowl. Serve hot, warm, or at room temperature.