Gluten free, dairy free, refined sugar-free
Now these – THESE are absolutely amazing and I will be making them over and over again! They taste more like the Girl Scout cookie, Samoas to me which is just fine! I found this recipe on dietician, Rachael DeVaux’s website and they are worth the time AND effort!
- 1/2 cup coconut flour
- 1/2 cup almond flour
- 1/3 coconut oil, melted
- 3 tbsp honey, warmed
- 1/2 cup almond butter
- 1/4 cup coconut oil
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- pinch of sea salt
- One 2.5 oz dark chocolate bar OR 1/2 cup chocolate chips
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 1/4 tsp flakey sea salt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Combine coconut and almond flours with melted coconut oil and warmed honey in a large bowl. Stir out all the crumbles of flour until thoroughly combined.
- Line a smaller baking dish with parchment paper and pack down shortbread mixture into the base using a silicone spatula. If shortbread mix starts to stick to spatula, dip in melted coconut oil and continue to gently press down evenly into entire base of dish.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes, or until starting to turn golden brown. Remove once done and let cool completely.
- Combine almond butter, coconut oil, vanilla, maple syrup and sea salt in a saucepan over the stove on medium-low heat and heat until completely liquified, whisking together, about 2-3 minutes.
- Remove from burner and let cool completely.
- Break up chocolate bar into small bowl and add coconut oil. Warm in microwave for 30 second intervals, stirring in between, until completely liquified. Or, heat over the stove.
- Once shortbread and caramel have completely cooled, pour caramel sauce over the base layer, spreading out evenly. Set in freezer until it hardens (about 1-2 hours).
- Remove from freezer once frozen (if still soft, keep in freezer until fully hardened) and pour chocolate over the top, spreading out evenly. Sprinkle flakey sea salt as the last touch and set back in fridge for 5-10 minutes to harden.
- Once chilled, remove the hardened mold from pan by pulling on the sides of the parchment paper. Lay on cutting board and using a large chef’s knife, slice into 1/2-inch strips, and from there, slice each strip into thirds.
- Ready to serve!! Enjoy. Store in airtight container in the refrigerator.
Let me know what you think!