Delicata Squash with a sweet sausage and apple stuffing topped with a delicate drizzle of maple syrup.
- 2 Delicata Squash
- 1 lb. sweet italian sausage – ground
- 1 sweet onion – diced
- 1 red pepper
- 1 apple diced
- 1 cup rice
- 1 cup apple cider
- 1 cup white wine
- 1/2 tsp ground sage
- 1/4 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 tsp salt (or more to taste)
- black pepper (or more to taste)
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- Halve the squash, remove the seeds and rub with olive oil. Season with salt and pepper and place cut side up on sheet pan, roast until tender.
- Cook one cup of dried rice in a separate pot.
- Oil a large frying pan and brown the sausage on medium heat. Stir in sage. Once brown remove the sausage from the pan and drain off excess fat.
- Return pan to medium/low heat and add diced onion and red pepper and stir until just starting to brown, add diced apple. Continue to stir for 2-3 min. Add white wine and use a wooden spoon to help de-glaze the pan. Cook down until there is no longer liquid in the pan. Add the cooked sausage to the pan. Stir in the apple cider and return to a simmer.
- Simmer until the liquid is mostly gone and then add in the rice.
- Remove the squash from the oven and fill with the stuffing mixture.
- Add Parmesan cheese to the top and return to the oven until the cheese is melted and just starting to brown.
- Remove from oven and lightly drizzle maple syrup on top (optional.. but worth it)
- Enjoy with a robust red wine or a full-flavored dark beer like a Brown Ale, Dunkel or Porter!